Faire Schule – what do we mean by that?
Faire Schule is a school developmental programme organised by the EPIZ – Zentrum für Globales Lernen in Berlin.
It has two main pillars:
- Faire Schule supports sustainability in all aspects of school life.
- Only if pupils feel that they are treated fairly and with respect, will they engage in tackling global questions of justice and fair play.
Faire Schule has a holistic approach with three main areas:
- Fair treatment of each other / democratic school culture, for example, we have an active Student Council, official class council hours and a Diversity Club
- Fair to the environment/ecological responsibility, for example we have an Environmental Club, cooperation with the cafeteria and urban gardening.
- Fair to people around the world/ Global awareness, for example we have a Model United Nations Club and a strong commenction with the Haus der Wannseekonferenz.
We also incorporate these three important approaches into the day to day running of the school in the different departments (Fachbereiche).
Schools, which show that they are active in all three areas can be certified as a Faire Schule. The certification is valid for two years. Schiller-Gymnasium has this certification and is applying for a renewal. More information here: Faire Schule werden.
More background information can be found here (in German) Leitfaden.